Monday, May 4, 2020

EXCEL IN PARENTING


EXCEL IN PARENTING
By: Denise Bennett, PT

Growing up I often thought too much was made of developing leadership skills.  If you think about it, there are far fewer leaders in this world than followers.  After working with children for over 30 years and raising one of my own, I can now say that developing leadership skills is critical.  In my particular specialty, behavior problems can often be part of the issues I will address with a child.  I have been asked many times “Why do they do what you tell them but not what I tell them?” One of the pieces I can often see missing, is a lack of leadership skills in the child’s parent. In the absence of a true leader, the child will take over that role and they are ill equipped for such responsibility.

One tip I often give parents for helping solidify their role as leader is to require the use of  “asking words”.  Often, children are allowed to fire off demands or commands throughout the day.  For instance, “I’m hungry” or “I want a drink” gets them exactly what they desire.  While food and drink are necessary for life, it is not obligatory that adults produce them on commandRequiring the child to use asking words like “May I have a drink?” or “May I have a snack?” not only teaches good manners, but reinforces that you are the leader.   Reinforcing this throughout the day to play with toys, watch a show, call a grandparent, etc. helps the child to understand the role of the parent in their lives.  This lays a foundation for the child to understand that the parent is the leader and should be respected.  Children with sensory defensiveness can struggle with this.  When a child commands me, I simply model for them what I would like in an unaccusatory manner and ask them to repeat it back to me.  The point is to teach, not to judge.  At that point, I will usually honor the request if possible, to reward the use of asking words.

This will also lay the foundation for effective discipline.  Love and Logic is one of my favorite methods for developing discipline and responsibility in a child.  The idea of consequences for not obeying the leader is more easily understood.  For instance “I can only give toys to children who pick them up when they are done” will be more effective.

Lastly, when asked, I will always tell parents to first examine themselves when they are unhappy with their child’s behavior.  Have they consistently required the use of asking words?  Have they consistently used consequences when needed?  Do they let things slide when busy or tired?  Do they send mixed messages to their child by being inconsistent in their expectations? Do they hold others responsible for their child’s poor behavior?

Learning to respect authorities and leaders and using good manners will only serve our children in this life.  By demonstrating good leadership with your children, they are more likely to model that behavior and become GOOD leaders.

EXCEL IN PARENTING

EXCEL IN PARENTING By: Denise Bennett, PT Growing up I often thought too much was made of developing leadership skills.   If you thi...